Loaded Potato Soup
The perfect soup for a cold winter's day
- 4 medium potatoes rinsed, peeled & diced
- 1 medium sweet potato rinsed, peeled & diced
- 3 medium carrots rinsed, peeled & diced
- 1 large onion peeled & diced
- 3 stalks celery rinsed & diced
- 3 sprigs scallions rinsed & chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil reserved for veg prep
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour for roux
- 4 tablespoons butter for roux
- 12 ounces cooked ham cubed, chopped, etc
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper optional
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 32 ounces broth I use chicken broth, usually from granulated bullion with hot water
- 1 8 oz can evaporated milk
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin seeds optional
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Chop onion, celery & garlic
Heat olive oil in your cook pot & saute onion, celery & garlic for about 5 to 10 minutes.
Add broth, ham & chopped vegetables & bring to a boil then, simmer for about 30 minutes.
Make your roux by melting the butter & mix in the flour. Keep stirring until light golden brown.
Add roux, the evaporated milk, cheddar cheese & your spices to the pot.
Simmer for an additional 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Enjoy your soup!