Loaded Potato Soup
The perfect soup for a cold winter’s day
- 4 medium potatoes (rinsed, peeled & diced)
- 1 medium sweet potato (rinsed, peeled & diced)
- 3 medium carrots (rinsed, peeled & diced)
- 1 large onion (peeled & diced)
- 3 stalks celery (rinsed & diced)
- 3 sprigs scallions (rinsed & chopped)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (reserved for veg prep)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (minced )
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (for roux)
- 4 tablespoons butter (for roux)
- 12 ounces cooked ham (cubed, chopped, etc)
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional )
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 32 ounces broth (I use chicken broth, usually from granulated bullion with hot water)
- 1 8 oz can evaporated milk
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin seeds (optional )
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Chop onion, celery & garlic
Heat olive oil in your cook pot & saute onion, celery & garlic for about 5 to 10 minutes.
Add broth, ham & chopped vegetables & bring to a boil then, simmer for about 30 minutes.
Make your roux by melting the butter & mix in the flour. Keep stirring until light golden brown.
Add roux, the evaporated milk, cheddar cheese & your spices to the pot.
Simmer for an additional 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Enjoy your soup!